Wednesday, August 29, 2007

It's Football Season again

I'm not a follower of football, it's an entire tide to life that just used to sweep me by. I now have to pay a bit more attention to it, if not my car gets towed away when Charlton play at home.

There's been a few matches now and I'm getting back into the swing of keeping an eye on what's happening.

However couldn't it be made easier?

I'm sure that Charlton used to pop a letter through local doors giving the dates of home matches, I certainly didn't get one this year. The little sign up by the station isn't much use as it's often only updated a few days before a match.

I'm lucky, I can get into the habit of checking on the internet for what's going on.

On that matter does anyone know of an online calendar in a format suitable for use in iCal on a Mac? At the moment watch the fixtures page and manually update my diary. Oh how easy it would be if they just offered one on the internet. Maybe I should suggest that to them.

As for last nights match well it all seemed rather subdued, perhaps it wasn't that important a game? I was pottering around at home and hardly noticed the fans coming or going. I've got to say they usually are very well behaved and no trouble at all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't follow the footie, but I do use the 486 bus...is it really necessary to divert it? Charlton Church Lane doesn't get that busy that people couldn't stop crossing the road for 10 seconds to let a bus through every 12 minutes. It's not so bad for me but what about those less able to hike up the hill?

But if they do have to divert it, could they not say so at the bus stop at North Greenwich so you know to get another bus instead of waiting? Grrrr....

Mark said...

I didn't know that they diverted the 486. They don't close the road to other traffic so I'm not totally sure why the bus can't make it through.

Inspector Sands said...

Charlton Church Lane is closed between Wellington Gardens and Woolwich Road after each match.

Mark said...

I guess that shows how often I come or go just as a match is ending...

I've often left as the match is starting and thought it would be the same at the end.

I do remember once driving back about 5 mins before the parking restrictions were due to end and a nice parking warden said he'd give me a ticket if I parked.

Unknown said...

If you use Google Calendars you can do a search under 'Public Calendars' and you will get all the fixtures on your Google Calendar!