Monday, October 01, 2007

Recyle juice and milk cartons!

A little piece of news hidden away in the Greenwich Time magazine is that you can now recycle juice and milk cartons in Greenwich. I think it deserved a bit more of a fanfare than that, this is great news!

I get through a lot of juice in a week and it always bothered me that you couldn't recycle the cartons, apparently that's because they contain a mix of some kind of plastic and aluminium.

Well now they've got some special machines that can deal with them. It sounds like they mince them up and are able to separate out the plastic and the metal.

However you can't just throw them in with your regular recycling, you have to take them to some special black bins. At the moment the ones nearest here are at ASDA, Sainsburys and on Plumstead Common opposite the Co-Op.

I'll be heading off on to do my shopping later and will be taking my first batch of cartons with me.

After having to say some really bad things about the Council it's nice to be able to say something positive about them :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was interested to read about the carton recycling... and wondered if you had seen the latest about the Council's Blue/Green/Black scheme.

http://beansmail.blogspot.com/2007/10/greenwich-council-and-environment.html