Monday, June 04, 2007

View from Greenwich Park under threat?


I love Greenwich Park, somewhere I don't go nearly as often as I should. In particular I love the view from the top of the hill by the Observatory. Well apparently that's under threat.

What I didn't know was that there are clear corridors set out under London planning laws so that St. Pauls can be viewed from various places around the centre of London. Tall buildings in those corridors are very restricted.

At the moment the corridor from Greenwich to St. Pauls is 300m wide, the rules have been changed so that the corridor will now only be 115m.

I understand how important it is for London to be a living city, it's one of the reasons I love living here so, it can't just freeze in time. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the great view into town from Greenwich isn't an accident, it's been planned for. I hope the new regulations don't damage it too much.

The full story can be found here.

I couldn't find a photo from Greenwich to St. Pauls so at the top is one that I took from the opposite direction....

No comments: