However I've been thinking, perhaps that isn't fair, maybe other Council's spend more.
So on the fantastic Greenwich Watch I found a page that had a link for the publicity spending by all London boroughs. You can see that report here.
So what I thought I would do would be to find each of the boroughs that border Greenwich and compare their spending, here are the results in a handy table form.
|Council||1996 to 1997||2006 to 2007||% Increase|
|Greenwich||£0.7 million||£3.2 million||329.2%|
|Tower Hamlets||£1.3 million||£2.3 million||78.4%|
|Barking & Dagenham||£0.6 million||£2.3 million||277.2%|
|Lewisham||£0.7 million||£2.1 million||195.4%|
|Bromley||£0.3 million||£0.9 million||215.8%|
|Bexley||£0.3 million||£0.7 million||112.4%|
What do we learn?
- Greenwich is the 2nd highest spender on publicity.
- The average spend of the other Councils is £2.05 million.
- Greenwich spends an extra £1.15 million, 50% higher than our neighbours average.
- Greenwich spends an extra £1.1 million when compared to our more populous neighbour Lewisham.
- Greenwich has increased it's spending by significantly more than any of our neighbours.
However spending over £1 million more than our neighbours average and more than £1 million more than Lewisham still isn't good.